It’s certainly nice to go out to restaurants to celebrate special occasions, but when those special occasions are observed by many people at the same time like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, etc., perhaps a restaurant is not the best choice. On those special days, restaurants can be overly busy and sometimes restrict your time there and often have reduced menus, and even increased prices. And, maybe you are on a bit of a tight budget at this time of year and still want to do something special for Mother’s Day. So, why not try making a special brunch at home for your Mom or your spouse? If it sounds daunting, please don’t stop reading because I have a simple idea for you that you can put together very quickly with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Also, this is a very attractive, tasty and healthy dish. And, although the Moms in your life might appreciate a special meal and some extra attention, they may also be concerned with health and calories and the large portions you often get in restaurants. So, these Mediterranean Scrambled Eggs are a great alternative. They are fancy enough for special occasions and quick and easy enough for any weekend meal. (I often make these for myself!!)
In just a few minutes, you can turn this…..
And you will have made the ‘everyday’ into ‘gourmet’. The “oohs and aahs” are likely to follow!
Here is what you need:
- Fresh greens or spinach
- Grape or Cherry tomatoes
Here’s what to do:
- Melt about 1 tbsp butter in a medium frying pan
- Scramble 2 eggs per person in a bowl
- Add chopped ham, olives (whole or sliced lengthwise), coarsely chopped spinach or greens, grape tomatoes (sliced lengthwise) to scrambled eggs, along with a little salt and pepper
- Gently turn and pull the egg mixture across the pan until soft curds form and eggs are cooked to your liking
- Buttered toast, jam or marmalade on the side
- Sliced fruit, or a simple yogurt parfait in a small clear dish or glass. (See picture)
- Mimosa or mix orange juice and sparkling water for a non-alcoholic version
- Coffee or tea in her favourite mug or pretty teacup
Options for Extras:
- Set a special table using a table cloth, pretty napkin, and a simple flower arrangement or single flower in a bud vase
- Serve on a tray for breakfast in bed with a pretty napkin and single flower in a bud vase
- Have her favourite music playing in the background
Unlike many fancy dishes you might find when searching for Mother’s Day treats, this one is low prep, quick to make, quick to clean-up, as well as nutritious, filling, and beautiful! Give it a try and turn the everyday into gourmet. Your Mom or spouse is sure to enjoy it your delicious food and the quiet time at home! Let me know how it goes…Happy Cooking, friends!