Brown and Wild Rice by Everyday Home Gourmet
This is a great side dish to any meal, or make it a one dish meal by including your favourite protein and chopped veggies, and herbs for extra flavour and colour. When I am including vegetables, I usually sautee them first until they are tender crisp, set them aside and add to the cooked rice at the end. Fancy enough to also serve for company!
- 1 cup brown and ⅛ cup wild rice
- 1 ¾ cups good quality, low salt chicken broth, or vegetable broth, or water
- Chopped vegetables (optional – I usually use green onions, carrots, celery)
- Chopped fresh Italian Parsley (optional – you can also use dried herbs of your choice)
- Place rice and broth in a pot. Cover and bring to a boil.
- As soon as rice boils, reduce heat to low, keep covered and cook until all water is absorbed. (I usually set a timer for 15 minutes, and once most of the water is absorbed, but still slightly covering the rice, I turn the burner off and keep rice covered until it cooks. This avoids rice sticking to the pot or burning. Cooking time for brown rice is 30 to 40 minutes)
- Mix in vegetables and herbs before serving, if you are using them
posted by: everydayhomegourmet.blog/