Mom’s Yorkshire Pudding
Golden Brown, Fluffy Yorkshire Pudding
Slow Cooker Pot Roast by Everyday Home Gourmet
This is a combination of the classic recipe my Mom used and a beef stew recipe I love from my favourite cookbook! Use full-bodied red wine and low salt beef broth. Brown the roast first if you have the time. It will result in deeper flavour and a slightly thicker broth.
- 2 kg boneless beef blade roast
- 2 potatoes, quartered
- 4 large carrots, cut in thick sticks, 2 or 3 inches long
- 3 celery ribs, cut in 2 to 3 inch pieces
- 15 to 20 green beans, left whole
- half a medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups good quality, low salt beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 to 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- a little salt (only if you use unsalted beef broth)
- If you have a slow cooker that browns, sear the roast on all sides before adding other ingredients. You can use another pan to sear the roast too, but only do this if you have the time!
- Add broth, wine, tomato paste and seasonings to the roast in the slow cooker
- Stir briefly to combine
- Add chopped vegetables (above shapes are only suggestions! Chop as you like!)
- Set slow cooker on low and cook for about 6 hours with lid on.